Monday, May 16, 2011

Hypermasculinity and its effects on rape and other forms of affection

A way sexual behaviour can be socialized in men is through...hypermasculinity! Hypermasculinity is instilled in males of every shape, size, race, species, and gender. The term hypermasculine refers to men who exaggerate stereotypical male behaviour.

I believe that some men who commit sexual assault do it because they are hypermasculine, but I'm sure that's not always the case though.

Men learn hypermasculinity from their fathers, grandfathers, uncles, certain aunts, tv, biology textbooks, grandfathers, the works of Tom of Finland, and many more. Why? I can't be sure, but if I had to say I would have to say that it is because male figures are so often portrayed as the stereotypical "tough guy" and men are told to act like that. The way men are raised to act is to be the strong foundation everybody can rely on, and to be big and powerful and hairy, and especially to never show any emotions.

There way sexual assaults are viewed in society changes with the anatomy of the assaulter. For example, men who assault women are seen as monsters while women who sexually assault men get joked about. This is likely because of the image that men paint of themselves, being big and tough and not possibly prone to bieng overpowered by women.

No comments:

Post a Comment